This is a remote position.
Contract, Initial: 12 months, full time, starting in July 2022
About the role
The senior campaigner position will help implement Just Finance’s campaign and advocacy activities. We seek an independent and strategic campaigner who has demonstrated abilities in advocating for accountability and transparency, in support of those negatively affected by infrastructure and development projects supported by governments, development institutions and banks. The senior campaigner will be comfortable with collaborating with a small but effective team as part of a wider international organization from diverse backgrounds. Our operational model is fast-moving and impacts-oriented.
Just Finance International works to ensure that development and infrastructure finance – both public and private financing – spent globally is contributing to the advancement of climate and environmental justice and human rights. We focus on the role that governments, banks, and investors play in financing socially and environmentally damaging activities, and work with project affected peoples and their representatives to advocate for better alternatives.
- Develop and implement strategies that will influence institutions’ positions, relevant to our campaigns
- Undertakes the planning of advocacy activities jointly within the team and in partnership with other campaigns and NGOs
- Shape analyses and reports specific to the environmental, social and human rights aspect of development policy and projects
- Work with representatives of project-affected communities to amplify their voices in a respectful manner
- Coordinate other tactics – research projects, digital campaigns, advocacy meetings with shareholders, governments and/or senior management of target companies, and more.
- Engage with banks, governments, companies, or other stakeholders in meetings, discussions or other forums to advocate for sustainable environmental, social and policies and practices at the project level
- Represent Just Finance International in relations with legislators, policymakers, development finance institutions, and in media interviews to support campaign objectives.
- Proven skills in international policy advocacy, campaigning or lobbying
- Ability to develop a strategy or improve on those already existing, and develop tactics for implementation of strategies.
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills in English, and ability to synthesize complex ideas into clear arguments or stories
- A proven track record in working to elevate the human stories, having conducted community-based field work in Global South, and elevating the voices of those affected
- Ability to balance and complete a wide range of environmental, social and human rights campaign activities including policy analysis, advocacy, organizing, coordination, research, and communications.
- Strong time-management and prioritization skills
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment which involves international travels, unless a medical exemption is approved
- Skilled with presenting complex material to a wide range of audiences, including the public, the press, businesses and/or government officials
Multilingualism in non-European languages would be an asset.
Just Finance International embraces diversity and encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups.
We offer a competitive salary that reflects your experience.
Please send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31st, with Subject “Senior campaigner, Just Finance International”