This is a remote position – ideally based in Southeast Europe
Contract, Initial: 12 months, full time, starting as soon as possible
About the role
The campaigner will help advance Just Finance International’s campaigns in catalyzing transformational environmental and social impacts. We are looking for a passionate and independent campaigner who is skilled in advocating for accountability and transparency, in support of those negatively affected by polluting large infrastructure investment projects in Southeast Europe. The campaigner will feel comfortable working in a small, effective and internationally diverse team, in a fast-moving and impact-oriented environment.
Just Finance International works to ensure that development and infrastructure finance – both public and private financing – spent globally is contributing to the advancement of climate and environmental justice and human rights. We focus on the role that governments, banks, and investors play in financing socially and environmentally damaging activities, and work with project affected peoples and their representatives to advocate for better alternatives.
- Lead on research assignments specific to deepening an understanding of links between companies and key decision makers
- Participate in the development of campaign communications plans and strategies
- Conduct fact-finding missions with regard to investment hotspots (FDIs) in Southeast Europe
- Provide relevant content, such as field reports, op-eds or policy recommendations
- Build and maintain relationships with key organizations, allies, stakeholders and influencers to advance campaign objectives
- Engage with policy makers to build support for our strategic goals
- Observe, track and report on paradigmatic investments and extraterritorial obligations in Southeast Europe
- Prepare campaign and policy positions that are aligned with campaign objectives
- Provide information to the media, pitch stories and act as media spokesperson as required
- Work with representatives of project-affected communities to amplify their voices in a respectful manner
- Represent Just Finance International in relations with legislators, policymakers, development finance institutions, and in media interviews to support campaign objectives
- You show initiative and is proactive
- A minimum of 4-5 years of experience in a similar role is preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and is able to build strong relations with a wide range of different actors – from NGO partner to representatives of governmental institutions (policymakers)
- Proven skills in European policy advocacy, campaigning or lobbying
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, and the ability to synthesize complex ideas into clear arguments or stories
- Proficiency of a Balkan language, preferably Serbo-Croatian
- Working knowledge of energy and mega infrastructure investments would be desirable
- A proven track record in working on environmental and social governance
- Strong time-management and prioritization skills and willingness to work flexibly to meet campaign demands
- Ability to travel internationally (including full COVID-19 vaccination)
- Skilled with presenting complex material to a wide range of audiences, including the public, the press, businesses and/or government officials.
Just Finance International embraces diversity and encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups.
We offer a competitive salary that reflects your experience.
Please send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject ‘’Campaigner, Just Finance International”