Job title: Just Finance International – part time community support specialist
Position type: part-time
Contract: 12-18 months
Deadline: 12:00 CET, November 17, 2023
About the role
The senior community support specialist position will implement Just Finance International’s community-based and rights-based activities together with us and the partners working in challenging environments. We seek an experienced campaigner with at least 10 years of operational and field background in Sub-Saharan Africa and/or Southeast Asia who has demonstrated abilities in working directly with community-based organizations in effecting measurable impacts.
The campaigner will be comfortable with collaborating with a small but effective team as part of a wider international organization from diverse backgrounds. Our operational model is fast-moving and impacts-oriented and we take instructions from our community-based partners whom we support.
Just Finance International works to ensure that development and infrastructure finance – both public and private financing – spent globally is contributing to the advancement of climate and environmental justice and human rights. We focus on the role that governments, banks, and investors play in financing socially and environmentally damaging activities, and work with project affected peoples and their representatives to advocate for better alternatives.
- Provide capacity development support to communities collecting evidence using various proven research and investigative methodologies
- Plan and conduct investigative field-trips and capacity building training with partner organizations in project countries as well as collect evidence in high-risk regions and areas (audiovisual, testimonies, interviews etc.)
- Provide basic communications and brand/advocacy support to partner organization to help develop their capacity to disseminate their messages online and to larger media audiences
- Develop and implement strategies that will influence policy and financial institutions’ positions relevant for the joint campaigns
- Lead advocacy activities jointly within the team and in partnership with other campaigns and NGOs
- Shape analyses and reports specific to the environmental, social and human rights aspect of development policy and projects
- Work with representatives of project-affected communities and community-based organizations to amplify their voices in a respectful and culturally sensitive manner
About you (selection criteria)
You have a proven track record in working with community-based organizations and have undertaken extensive field work in Sub-Saharan Africa and/or Southeast Asia, and have a strong understanding of environmental, social and human rights issues. You need to show initiative and are a team player who is open to input from the team and community-based organizations.
Due to today’s political climate, proven experience working in high-risk environments and contexts, ideally in the context of NGOs or similar organizations is vital. You will assist and help guide JFI’s partners in our mission to implement secured approaches and basic experience in organizational security procedures is required.
Strong writing and verbal communication skills in English, and the ability to synthesize complex ideas into clear arguments or stories is essential. The work requires occasional flexible work hours depending on the needs and access of our partner organizations and communities whom we serve. You are highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to manage multiple tasks effectively, but most importantly above all, use your interpersonal skills to support and build relations with community-based organizations and partners -you align with JFI’s ethos and mission for community activism.
Last, you need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and other travel-required vaccines as a condition of employment which involves international travel, unless a medical exemption is approved.
We offer a competitive staff consultancy package that reflects your experience, provided you pay taxes in your country of residence.
Please send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, by 12:00 CET on November 17, 2023, with Subject “Community support specialist, Just Finance International”